Tuesday 12 January 2016

Evergreen

Evergreen. I have always loved that word more than the evergreen trees themselves. The woods are full of evergreen trees, and the word to me implies fairytale, spring, sun, and light, whereas the trees themselves seem ancient and gloomy. I like the woods though. They seem to me to radiate a sort of ancient quiet wisdom which doesn't make much sense, considering the fact that these woods that I call home are not very old.

I sometimes go ogre hunting with my brother in these woods. He is 5 years old. We don't really go hunting, he is not afraid of them, so we go looking for them. He count himself among friends when we find massive rocks that he calls father ogre and grandmother ogre. Then we tell each other fairy tales of ancient creatures who used to roam these woods, and who are biding there time until their time has come again. I like telling stories with him. I am enjoying the time I spend with him. 
He is the last remaining child in the woods. Him and the neighbours boy. The two last children of the woods. 

It is so practical with a younger brother. Last night I had to blow my nose but didn't want to get out of my chair, so I called my brother and gave him a secret mission to find the holy tissues and bring them back to me. After the crisis had been averted and i had gotten the tissues i needed and plenty more, he told my mother: "Victoria is the best sister in the world. She trusts me with important missions. I am her right hand commander" 
I thought to myself well that was easy.

It is snowing outside again. I was outside before to get another bucket of water from the well, and even in the darkness you can see a white coat over everything. The snow is waist-deep now. It is beautiful outside. The  snow is creating a silence unlike anywhere else in the world and sometimes when I am walking, my mind is tricked into believing myself the only person left in the world. Of course i know I am not, and maybe that is why it does not feel frightening to me. It just feels free.

I wish you fair winds and a following sea my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment