Tuesday 16 February 2016

Tortuga

The first thing I noticed when i woke up this morning was the sun.
Den Helder is known as the sunniest city in Holland, which makes me a little bit sad for the rest of the country.
But as a friend of mine wisely pointed out, the warmest place in Antarctica still isn't warm.

It has been raining most of this week. But today the sun is shining, and so I decided to go for a run to the domesticated park this morning, which, afterwards, made me wonder if I am somewhat of a masochist.
But after the pain in my limbs retreated and my wounded pride got over itself, I decided to run again on Thursday. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Those are my study days. I started navigation school again. One of my bosses talked me into it, and it is probably a good thing. At least I enjoyed it last Friday.

I have been studying for the most part of today, and odd as it may sound I have actually enjoyed it. I got a lot done, made a lot of shipbuilding drawings, and later I will do some navigation, before the muster tonight. This blogpost is me procrastinating though, although it's about time I wrote something for others to read as well.

I am not taking any information in anymore so I will take a break form studying, and continue later. I might play a game in the meantime. A card game. I played it last night, with quite a few people at first. It's quite a stressful game, I am not entirely sure my nerves can handle it, although everyone else seems to find my reactions of flying arms and unidentified sounds amusing.

A mate and i got really into it at some point, we got a bit competitive after everyone else went to bed. I seem to recall the words: "you British bitch" and "I'm gonna fuck you up you Danish piece of shit"
As I said, we got just a little bit carried away, and ended up making cheese toasties at 12, and being perhaps just a little more noisy than planned.

It was a lot of fun though. I haven't been that social in a very long time. I have missed Tortuga. Despite the rain, despite the wind blowing furiously through you no matter how many layers you are wearing,  I don't think there is a place on earth quite like Tortuga. I miss the people who used to live here. and I love the people who live here now. I am happy to be back.

Before coming back I had this idea that everything would be as it was before I left. That everything would be as last winter. I would feel as home as I did back then. I would be as social as I was back then, and the people who were here last winter would still be here. I guess this is the part where I remember I knew better. I still feel at home. This is my home. I am still happy to be here. But for better or worse, things have to change.

New people are here now. New friendships, but not less valuable. Yes I am happy to be back. I am happy to study, more seriously than last winter I might add. I am happy to be swimming on Sundays again, and I am happy to be running through the domesticated park.

There used to be a graffiti message on one of the walls in town.
"Stop taking my book so literally
- God"
It's not there anymore. I miss walking past it.

I miss the parties in the gallery, and the tattoo parlour on Sundays, although, not going there, is probably a good thing.

No, I am happy to be back. I have missed the house, I have missed Nordlys, and believe it or not, I have missed Den Helder.

Much love from Holland.

I wish you fair winds and followong seas my friend

2 comments:

  1. As the times change, Tortuga lives on. People come and go, but the mission remains the same. To live in community and learn from people from all over the world. One day I'll make it back to fair Den Helder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capital Victory V victoria Hejlskov
    so Victoria Heijlkov

    ReplyDelete